Thursday 9 May 2013

Evaluation





Title: Light and illusion



Candidate Number: 6034



Candidate name: Adam Borowski



Theme: Light and Illusion

My theme is Light and Illusion. The client I’m creating the piece for is Chestnut Grove. The purpose of my piece of work is to show the unseen beauty of light and how it is merely an illusion before you start to explore it. The final piece will be a series of Photoshop images or Photographs of the final outcome demonstrating that. My ideas came from a vast research i did in Piccadilly Circus and parts of Balham. The research included a huge variety of photographs which made photography my main primary source. I also collected leaflets, food wrappers and any junk I had left over by the end of each of my day during the holiday. The photographs can be seen from the ‘Primary and Secondary Sources’ section of the blog.
Some of my primary ideas revolved around rooms and how different lights affect the room which is something I’ve done in my research in the current theme, but I had to expand the idea of light to give me more options. Before I thought of light, I was thinking about doing something more mechanical with the use of technology and how people nowadays depend upon this technology. It was an interesting topic which I would have done if I didn’t think of the theme I have right now. As much as I’m interested in technology, I also like to experiment with things I don’t usually experiment with and light was a great opportunity to do so which made me stick to that theme.
The idea of light being an illusion came struck me from looking through some of the photos of Trocadero which is a huge underground arcade in Piccadilly Circus. The experience of light hitting you from all sides and the way it causes dizziness is like an illusion.
I begun doing some research on the artist and two which caught my eye from the start were Bruce Nauman and Dan Flavin.  The artists used neon lights and a range of different ways to spread them or place them in a room to fill it with light. This linked back to my research of the arcade where artificial lights were the only light source in the building and they filled the whole arcade with various colors.
Another group of artists I came across were Whistler and Nicholas Wright. Whistler was a painter who created very distorted paintings of rural areas in which each captured their own atmosphere and mood. Nicholas Wright on the other hand was a sculptor who created paper buildings and even full cities and then by allowing ways light can go through e.g. windows and doors, with use of light, the artist would light the whole sculpture up and bring it to life.
Whistler’s idea of capturing a mood linked back to some of my very distorted photos in my research. They each felt different from another and carried their own atmospheres within. I also found Nicholas Wright interesting because of the use of light to ring a paper sculpture to life. The idea of an object relying on light to be truly beautiful linked back to the arcade as well as some of the outdoor images where a building would only look nice when light shined upon it.  
My first responses came from Dan Flavin. I created small rooms out of foam board and then lit them up with light from various angles and used color filters to see how different colors affect the space in our eyes. I used the buildings from my primary photographs to create the small structures out of foam board.
I then went into 2-D and used chalk to create a variety of experiments and responses to Whistler. Using the distorted photos from my research I used chalk to create small responses in the style of Whistler but with my own influence. I also took one response from Nicholas Wright which was a 2-D paper collage of a city and using Photoshop, used contrast to give the image a different atmosphere. This gave me an idea to do some more distorted photographs as a response itself.
Nicholas Wright gave me ideas for some other interesting responses. I took a piece of paper and did some outline cut-outs of my primary sources to create an image of a city fading away. I kept overlapping the image with more layers and allowed some light to go through it. Under light, the image turned distorted and moody and while doing this as a response to Nicholas Wright, the image was a bit more of a response to Whistler as it was hard to see in it.



The ideas of these responses which I carried through to the final piece were the small 3-D installations with light as well as the distorted image using chalk and collage. I wanted to use those and recreate it in a bigger scale. On the exam day, I took the most interesting photographs and responses most of which were from Piccadilly Circus.



Using those sources, I created a plan of having a set of buildings made out of various different materials with different transparency and some that are not transparent at all. The idea was to create a set similar to what Nicholas Wright created, but I wanted to create actual buildings instead of having everything flat paper. The buildings themselves were made out of thick card and foam board and for the windows, I experimented with a variety of material such as tracing paper, sugar paper, tissue paper etc to see how light can affect the whole thing when it’s lit up with light. The idea was to create those buildings and then use light to bring the whole thing to life. I have a dark room in the school which allowed me to take this to the highest level where I could have a completely dark room and the only thing that the final piece depends on is light. Once everything was lit up, I took hundreds of photos and the ones which came out the most interesting would go to the very final piece.

Side View 2:


Side View 1:


Bird's Eye View:


When I assembled the whole set, it looked a bit empty at the start because all I had were the structures and white paper as the floor. To overcome this, I placed some large sheets of white card to go around the installations so when I take the photographs, the images would have more depth and make you think that there is something behind all those buildings.

The good part came in when everything was lit up. I feared that some of the materials I chose such as sugar paper and such would not be very transparent with light, but it ended up that even foam board has a little bit of transparency with the light being so strong. I think that the choice of materials was very good and overall the idea for this final piece was successful.


When I took the photos, I used 2 different cameras. One which was my phone and I took around 50 photographs before the battery ran out. I then used the school's camera to take hundreds more from all sides and angles. The good thing about using those different cameras was that each had a different lenses and effect when the photos were taken. My camera was a bit more brighter and got some very similar photos with the same atmosphere that Nicholas Wright had in his artwork. The school camera took much darker photographs and made it seem as if the scene took place at night and the light posts lit everything up instead of the actual light bulbs. 


Overall I think I have met the client needs. I successfully created an installation and took photos of the final outcome which I refined using photoshop. The final piece is a successful piece of art which clearly links back to my research as well as the artists and I believe that it sustained it's purpose. 

1 comment:

  1. Its great to see the process of your outcome Adam and you have reflected critically on some of the stages of the process. There is some extension needed however as you have not summed up the overall effect and successes yet.

    Also make sure you go back to your brief and original intentions. Has it met them and the needs of your client?

    A great start but add a little more- also slight edits needed in some parts.

    ReplyDelete